Installation Experience SVM 1.0

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:13 AM

Thanks for working on this plug-in for this important data mining algorithm.

I was able to install the plug-in and viewer on two separate machines running Vista 32 SP1 with SQL Server 2008.   The plug-in (on both machines) shows in Excel (with the Data Mining plug-in) and in BIDS too (so does the viewer).

I was not able to install the plug-in and viewer on a Windows Server 2008 64-bit with SQL Server 2008.  I therefore followed the manual installation instructions, and was able to modify the BAT file to point to the "(x86)" directory (as appopriate) which is separate from "Program Files" (for 64 bit).  I used the command lines individually in a command window with Administrative privileges, and was able to interactively see that each DLL was registered.  Using SSMS, the XMLA script shows that it did work. When I examined a copy of the INI file (I was not able to open the regular INI file, some sort of security setting) I could see the Avanade code in the XML (adding the option to the algorithm list).  However, the plug-in does not show on either Excel or BIDS on this instance.

To test the algorithm, I added it to the "Targeted Mailing" structure in the Adventure Works demo.  On one Vista machine, the project deployed, and the model processed.  When I went to view the model, there was some error because drillthrough was not enabled for the model (which is the default), so it crashed VS 2008.  When I restarted VS 2008, I reprocessed the model with drillthrough on.  However, I am not finding a combination of x-axis and y-axis variables which is showing anything on the display.  All I get is the spinning circle when I press "Load" (which is what I assume I should be doing since the "Load" button is in red).  Red is normally a color indicating emergency or crisis, rather than process, so a simpler interface would simply be larger text or bold -- that's enough to distinguish it.  Also, it would be better to say "Process" or "Display" or some similar word because "Load" has a specific meaning with data processing, and though the viewer is being loaded, we are not really loading data into some warehouse or UDM.

I can see the viewer code and I could make the changes to the load button.  However, I'm hoping for something more important:  a run that works.

By the way, it finally finished with a standard timeout error: 
XML for Analysis parser: The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed. 
Internal error: An unexpected exception occurred.
COM error:  COM error:  DMPlugInWrapper; Object reference not set to an instance of an object..
XML for Analysis parser: The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed.

One simple fix right now would be to add a project to the download area which assumes the Adventure Works data.  This sample project would have all the parameters set correctly, and once processed, would allow someone to fully test their installation of the plug-in and viewer.

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2009 at 6:47 PM
Thanks for using the plug-in.

There is a problem with X64 versions. [http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatamining/thread/76aaea48-b7cb-4171-a156-22aa66d138af/] We have to compile a part of the plugin in X64 and post a X64 version of the algorithm. Apologies for your trouble.

We are currently working on a demo with the Adventure Works data and I understand the problems you encountered. We will try to fix this in the next release. If you have adjusted code which you like to see in the next version, then please send me the code. We are working on the next version besides working at customers, so the development of the next version is not as rapid as I would like..

Thanks for your feedback. It is very helpful.

Joris
Sep 10, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Anybody got a working 64-bit installer built they can upload?

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:28 PM
Edited Sep 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Hi Furmangg

Hopefully someone will post an x64 solution soon. 

I rewrote the first manual installation file in PowerShell script for Windows 7 x64 (though these commands will not succeed without a new build targeting x64):

& "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\gacutil.exe" /u DMPluginWrapper
& "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\gacutil.exe" /if DMPluginWrapper.dll
& "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\RegAsm.exe" SupportVectorMachine.dll
& "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\gacutil.exe" /u SupportVectorMachine   
& "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\gacutil.exe" /if SupportVectorMachine.dll   
& "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\gacutil.exe" /u SMO   
& "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\gacutil.exe" /if SMO.dll

For the CMD prompt, the variable %ProgramFiles(x86)% would be the correct stem environment variable, but as you see in my code, the location of gacutil.exe is different for my installation of VS2010 (compared with "Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bin\gacutil.exe").

For PowerShell, the third file would be:

stop-service mssqlserverolapservice
start-service mssqlserverolapservice

This third file is the same as doing a "Restart" from right-clicking the Analysis Services instance in SSMS.

I was starting to write a generic PowerShell installation, but I have no way to test it, and I do NOT know all the possible combinations of Windows OS which might need to be handled.  And, I'm understanding that the program needs to be recompiled, but again, I'm not aware of all the possible paths installation can take, so I am NOT the right person to provide a generic installation.  [http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatamining/thread/76aaea48-b7cb-4171-a156-22aa66d138af/]

I am writing about this subject today because blogged about this topic last Saturday, and decided to follow up again on the SVM: http://www.marktab.net/datamining/index.php/2010/09/18/extending-sql-server-data-mining/

May 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM

We have tried to install the plug-in on an XP box running 2005. The msi file runs to completion and reports no errrors, but the algorithm isn't then visible via Visual Studio or Management Studio (across user and admin accounts). Installing components manually, again no errors, but the algorithm isn't visible.

Any suggestions?